Friday, March 23, 2018

Take Me With You

Take Me With You
by Andrea Gibson
Plume Books, 2018. 200 pages. Nonfiction

An award-winning poet and activist, Andrea Gibson's latest collection of poems, one-liners, and more comes in a pocket-sized volume you can carry along anywhere. Chock full of emotive, relateable, touching poetry, this collection features work divided into three themed sections: Love, The World, and Becoming.

Don't let the size fool you; this petite book packs a real emotional punch.  I loved feeling so connected to a writer. Gibson has an amazing talent for making you feel their feelings and relate to their experiences, which I think is their greatest strength as a writer. I felt as though we shared in each other's joy, fear, pain, excitement, or wonder reading the poems similar to my life experiences, and  felt my heart and eyes open in equal measure to struggles, issues, and situations completely alien to me. This book was an uplifting, celebratory, hopeful look at life. Take it with you.


MW

No comments: