Thursday, June 1, 2017

Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation Into Space

Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation Into Space
By Margot Lee Shetterly
HaperCollins, 2016. 231 pgs. Young Adult Nonfiction

One of the recent trends I've noticed is, amazing nonfiction books being adapted for a young reader's edition. While I haven't yet read the original book, I've seen the movie based on the book (I loved it!) and I thought this was very good adaptation. Having seen the movie first, gave me the context needed to really enjoy learning about these women and this time in history.

Dorothy Vaughn, Katherine Johnson, Mary Jackson, and Christine Darden are a few of the many women who worked for NASA in the 1950s and 1960s. These women were master mathematicians who played a vital role in aeronautics during war times and in the space age. I was enthralled by their individual stories and the way these women as a whole influenced our nation. I would recommend this book (and movie) to anyone.

AMM

1 comment:

Hannah said...

These women's stories are inspirational. I enjoyed learning about them and the strength they had. These women prove that thriving is more than surviving and that everyone is more than their circumstances. This book did a wonderful job of bringing up hard subjects, such as race and sexism in the workplace, without being preachy or condescending. I would recommend this book to everyone.