Monday, April 24, 2017

I Liked My Life

I Liked My Life: A Novel
By Abby Fabiaschi
St. Martins Press, 2017.  262 pgs. Fiction

The unexplained suicide of, Maddy,  a devoted wife and mother, leaves her teen-aged daughter Eve and husband Brady mired in grief and guilt.  To be honest, Maddy isn’t dealing with it very well either.

This debut novel in ingeniously told through the alternating perspectives of each member of the family.  First through Maddy’s ghost who is determined to haunt her family long enough to make sure they will be okay.  Then through Eve who is struggling to return to her normal life when it seems nothing will ever be okay again.  And finally through Brady who is completely lost as a single parent dealing with the devastation of losing his wife.

With such a heartbreaking premise, I did not expect the humor and heart I discovered on each page.  I loved hearing the inner thoughts of people experiencing the same events with such disparate interpretations. The difficulty of truly knowing and understanding another person is demonstrated along with the depth to which we can love.  I can enthusiastically recommend I LIKED MY LIFE to fans of Liane Moriarty, Jojo Moyes, and Elin Hilderbrand.

CG

No comments: