Thursday, February 23, 2017

Vanished: True Tales of Mysterious Disappearances

Vanished: True Tales of Mysterious Disappearances
By Elizabeth MacLeod
Annick Press, 2016. 184gs. Young Adult Nonfiction

Do you remember watching the TV show Unsolved Mysteries in the 90s? While I always found the host and the stories slightly too creepy to really enjoy, I was always intrigued with the facts behind the mysteries portrayed.

This nonfiction book discusses six true mysterious disappearances. From the lost colony of Roanoke in 1590 to the icy Franklin Expedition in 1848 and the Mary Celeste, a legendary ghost ship which disappeared in 1872. Next the mystery of the missing Russian Amber Room in 1941, the Alcatraz Prison break in 1962, and finally the art heist at the Gardner Museum in 1990.

I was familiar with the Gardner Museum after vising Boston a few years ago, and I had a general idea about Alcatraz, but the other stories were largely new to me. The section on the Amber Room was my favorite of the bunch. Filled with color pictures, sidebars, and maps, this book is perfect for anyone that enjoys a true mystery tale.

AMM

No comments: