Thursday, October 27, 2016

I Am Not a Serial Killer

I Am Not a Serial Killer 
By Dan Wells
Tor, 2010. 271 pgs. Fiction

John Wayne Clever is not a typical teenager. John has long been drawn to dark and creepy things – a desire that is often feed by the work he does in his family’s mortuary. John knows that he is different, and he lives by a certain set of self-imposed rules meant to keep himself out of trouble and to keep those around him safe. But one day John comes face to face with the work of a true serial killer right in his own small town. John feels it's his duty to stop this madman, but can he do so without releasing his own demons?

This book is as weird as it is awesome. John is equal parts likable and disturbing, which makes for quite the unique protagonist. I loved the story and the turn it took that left me saying, “Ok, there is no way that really just happened.” There is not much more I can say about this story without giving too much away, but if you are looking for a good book to read this Halloween season I highly recommend this one.

CNC

1 comment:

ACS said...

I also really enjoyed this book for the most part. What do you do when every urge you have would lead down a dark path, yet against the odds you're trying to be good? John Wayne Clever is a fascinating character, and one that I really admired. Is it weird to admire a potential serial killer? Whatever. The characterization in this book is why I love it so much.

That being said, the plot twist sort of ruined it for me. I don't want to give anything away, but it kind of took me out of the story. Twists are obviously supposed to surprise you, but I felt like if I'd been prepared for it, maybe I wouldn't have felt as disappointed by the story's turn. I'll leave it at that.