Friday, August 7, 2015

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives
By Caitlin Alifirenka and Martin Ganda
Little, Brown and Company, 2015.  392 pgs. Young Adult Nonfiction


Caitlin, who was usually bored in school, was intrigued when her teacher offered students a chance to write to pen pals. She drew the name of a boy in Zimbabwe and immediately wrote to him.  Martin, living in extreme poverty, could barely afford the paper and stamps to write back but he did, promising his new pen pal that he would always write back.  The alternating chapters of this book, told by Martin and Caitlin, show how even a long distance relationship can change lives.  Caitlin gradually comes to realize how very poor Martin’s family is and decides to do something to help; Martin’s is amazed and grateful for Caitlin’s friendship, and redoubles his effort to always be at the top of his class and attend college. I highly recommend this wonderful book to adults and teens.

SH

1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

This was my favorite read of 2017! I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed that there was a reader for Caitlin and another reader for Martin. I thought that really added to the story. This book made me tear up on several occasions and there we multiple times that I sat in my driveway continuing to listen because I had to find out what happened next. This was the perfect book for me to read during the holidays to remind me of the many blessings I have in my life and to actively look for ways that I can improve others lives. This book is highly recommended!