Thursday, December 12, 2013

Daddy's Gone A Hunting

Daddy's Gone A Hunting
By Mary Higgins Clark
Simon & Schuster, 2013. 338 pgs. Mystery.

When Kate Connelly, a promising CPA in a well-to-do firm, is found unconscious at the scene of an explosion at the family's antique furniture store, police suspect that she deliberately set the fire as a vendetta against her estranged father. Her sister, Hannah, senses that there is something more at the bottom of this. Will her questions serve to exonerate Kate, or will they only awaken demons that have been hidden since she was a little girl?

I will admit that I stopped reading Mary Higgins Clark years ago because I felt her books had become too formulaic and predictable. I picked this up on a whim and really found myself enjoying the book. It had all the things I had loved years ago about Mary Higgins Clark (the excitement, the adventure the mystery), but came off as less a formula book than her previous books had been. Overall, a fun, quick read.

JH

No comments: