Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Style Me Vintage

Style Me Vintage: Hair
By Belinda Hay
Pavilion Books, 2010. 112 pgs. Nonfiction.

A step-by-step guide to 1920s-1960s hairstyles including finger waves, pin curls, victory rolls, “The Marilyn,” “The Pompadour,” beehives, and bouffant styles among others. Color photos show the women who made each style famous, along with a modern celebrity wearing the look today. Step-by-step photos and instructions demonstrate how to replicate each style.

I was really hoping for more. This book is attractive and the photos are beautiful, but I felt the directions were lacking. For someone just getting into vintage hair I wouldn’t recommend this book. I tried to follow the directions, but didn’t feel like there was enough information to successfully replicate the styles. My styling sessions tended to conclude with me frustrated and putting my hair in a ponytail.

ACS

No comments: