Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Woman in Black

The Woman in Black
By Susan Hill
Vintage Books, 1983. 164 pgs. Fiction

Arthur Kipps travels away from his London home to settle the affairs of recently deceased Mrs. Alice Drablow. In the remote town of Crythin Gifford, Eel Marsh House stands alone amidst the fog and treacherous salt marshes. Arthur’s routine business trip takes a haunting turn when he witnesses unexplained sights, sounds, and gradually discovers the haunting tale that surrounds Mrs. Drablow’s house.

A chilling tale that had me reading with my back against a wall. It took a couple of chapters for me to really get into the book, but soon I was hooked. Multiple times throughout the story I began to relax, but then something would unnerve me. I definitely recommend this book for someone who wants a chill, but nothing gory or violent.

ACS

No comments: