Monday, November 28, 2011

XVI

XVI
By Julia Karr
Speak, 2011. 325 pgs. Young Adult

In a future world, girls become sexually available at sixteen--they even have to get a mandatory tattoo, announcing their age to the world. They become free game, essentially, with little protection from any man who might want them. The governing force and the media give girls tips and tricks and hammer them with images and more that encourage them to amp up their sexuality, and most girls can't wait until they become a sex-teen. Nina, however, dreads turning sixteen and doesn't want to have sex. Already stressed out about her approaching sixteenth birthday, Nina's life gets a whole lot more complicated when her mother is murdered, she finds out that her long-dead father might actually still be alive, and she meets a guy who makes her question everything she thought she knew and wanted.

I thought this book was flawed but still good. I felt like the explanation for why their world is the way it is wasn't very well developed--I never fully got why anyone would think branding sixteen-year-old girls was a good thing for their society and some of the details (such as miners on Mars) just seemed like they were thrown into the story, rather than actually adding much to it. I can understand the bombardment of sexuality in media, but I don't think the author developed why no one seems bothered by it enough as she should have to really establish the setting and ground readers in the world. I also felt like the writing (especially Nina's thoughts) tended to be overwritten--it didn't feel natural. Even if Nina is different and in some ways, more mature than her peers, her voice just didn't feel authentic and in some places had me rolling my eyes. However, the pacing was good and even as I was aware of the flaws in the book, I couldn't help but keep reading; I definitely wanted to see where this book was going. The ending was rushed, and I can't go so far as to say it's a great book, but I do want to continue with the series and see how things play out for Nina. Overall, I thought it was flawed but still really gripping.


AE

No comments: