Monday, May 16, 2011

The Thief

The Thief
By Megan Whalen Turner
Recorded Books, 1997. 7 CDs. Young Adult

Gen, a thief, is stuck in the king of Sounis's prison, until the magus, the king's scholar, gets him out. The magus, although scornful of Gen's attitude, criminal behavior, and general person, needs a thief, and Gen is rumored to be the best. They, along with a couple other companions, set out on a nearly impossible quest: to find a stone, a gift of the gods, that when stolen and given to a monarch gives that monarch the indisputable right to rule.

With a fascinating plot, unexpected twists and turns, and an excellent narrator, this book on CD has it all. It's book one in series, but it wraps up nicely rather than having a cliffhanger ending. A great choice for fans of adventure, fantasy, or just really good books.

AE

2 comments:

MN said...

I am so very glad you liked this. This is one of my all-time favorite series and I think it just gets better with each installment.

Maegan said...

I have absolutely loved listening to this book on my trips back and forth between Utah and Idaho. It has been so much fun getting lost in the throws of this story. I love Gen's character and I love the folklore as it is told through the story. This is a book that has been recommended to me a few times it is so much fun finally getting to it.

MH