Saturday, March 26, 2011

Death of a Chimney Sweep

Death of a Chimney Sweep: A Hamish Macbeth Mystery
By M.C. Beaton
Grand Central Publishing, 2011. 247 pages. Mystery

In the isolated villages of northern Scotland, the residents rely on chimney sweep Pete Ray. After Police Constable Hamish Macbeth finds a dead body stuffed inside a chimney, the entire town of Lochdubh suspects Pete. Then Pete’s body is found on the Scottish moors, and the mystery deepens.

I have a crush on Hamish Macbeth and look forward to every new book in the series. Since I long ago reconciled myself to the idea that Hamish will never progress in either his personal or professional life, I was able to enjoy this cottage mystery without expectations. I found it to be as light and charming a read as its predecessors. Although Chimney Sweep is the 27th entry in the Hamish Macbeth series, it can easily stand alone.

LF

No comments: