Monday, February 7, 2011

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know
By Sonya Sones
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2007. 291 pgs. Young Adult

High school freshman Robin Murphy is dating Sophie and loving it--except for the fact that he's considered a loser and Sophie, who used to be popular, has been dropped by all of her friends, who are horrified that she's dating him. So high school is a miserable experience, but while he's attending a drawing class at Harvard, he find that he fits right in--except for the fact that he's years younger than the rest of the class.

This novel-in-verse follows What My Mother Doesn't Know, further exploring Robin and Sophie's budding relationship. The plot line and characters are all right--nothing special about either--but many readers will be put of by the emphasis on the physical aspects of a relationship, which tends to take over the plot. While I like the messages of not caving to peer pressure and be yourself no matter what, I'm not sure there's much beyond that that I would recommend about it.

AE

No comments: