Monday, February 28, 2011

Fall for Anything

Fall for Anything
By Courtney Summers
St. Martin's Griffin, 2011. 230 pgs. Young Adult

Eddie Reeve's father committed suicide, and she is left wondering why he made that choice. She repeatedly returns to the site of his suicide, and while there, she meets Culler Evans, a former photography student of her father's. Culler seems as driven to find out why his mentor did what he did as Eddie is, and soon, despite the protests of Eddie's best friend Milo, Eddie and Culler set out to visit the last few locations that Eddie's father photographed before his death, looking for clues into why he did what he did.

Eddie's quest is an interesting one, and I think that's the main thing that kept me reading. I didn't ever feel like I connected with her as a character; while her emotions (or sometimes, lack thereof) are fitting with someone in grief, I also felt distanced from her. I actually like Milo better and felt more drawn to him as a character. Still, Eddie's task is interesting, and the feeling that something just isn't quite right with Culler kept me going, wondering how things would play out in the end. The writing style is more serious than a lot of young adult literature, and that combined with what I thought was an unnecessary amount of profanity, would make it more suitable for older teens.

AE

No comments: