Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Matched

Matched
By Ally Condie
Dutton, 2010. 384 pgs. Young Adult

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her, so when Xander appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate--until Ky Markham's face appears for an instant before the screen fades to black.

I enjoyed the first book in this new dystopian series. The Society has made sure that everything is as perfect as possible. You are assigned a spouse, a job, and the ideal nutritional balance for your meals all based on your personal data. Cassia was fine living in this perfect bubble, until she began to see what the world could be like outside the Society.

I look forward to seeing Ally Condie on December 7th here at the Provo City Library. She will be speaking and signing at 7:00 pm in the Bullock Room, #309.

AMM

2 comments:

MN said...

I think this book had too much hype and praise. I didn't find it compelling at all, but actually found it quite predictable in terms of who Cassia picked and what she decided to do. I also found the world Condie created to be too similar to the world in The Giver. I probably won't read the next one.

CKN said...

Matched has been on my to read list for years, and at the top of my to read list since I read and loved Condie’s latest novel, Summerlost. However, I think I enjoyed this book much more now than I would have a few years ago because it has been a while since I read a YA dystopian novel; As I read Matched I wasn’t constantly comparing it to The Hunger Games, Divergent,or The Giver, I was simply enjoying it! I thought Condie's story was clever and her characters pretty true to the teenagers in my life. And of all the dystopian story lines out there, I thought this one of perceived choice within the government's set parameters was one of the most conceivable.