Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Women, Food and God

Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything
By Geneen Roth
Scribner, 2010. 211 pgs. Nonfiction

In Women, Food and God, Geneen Roth claims that our relationship with food is a reflection of our relationship with God. She speaks to those who struggle with addictions to food, dieting, or any type compulsive behavior driven by a need to numb ourselves to life. Her instructions encourage readers to live in the moment and recognize the issues behind their addictive behaviors as the only way to gain freedom from them.

While there are certainly some gems of insight within this book, Roth’s subtitle which promises a “Path to Almost Everything” is a serious oversell. Her writing reminds me of a yoga instructor I once had, speaking of centering my breath and anchoring myself in my gut…whatever that means. She is very encouraging and passionate about our ability to overcome addictions, but I felt she gave little real help for those looking to achieve change in their lives.

CZ

No comments: