Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Wasatch Wildflowers: A Field Guide

Wasatch Wildflowers: A Field Guide
By Steve Hegji
Cedar Fort, 2010. 207 pgs. Nonfiction

I wouldn’t normally review a short book about wildflowers on this blog, but I was so pleased with this book I wanted to share my discovery. I have looked at a few of the other wildflowers books for our region and have been very unsatisfied. I do a lot of hiking and couldn’t recognize a single flower in these other books. Wasatch Wildflowers, however, was exactly the opposite. Not only was I able to identify all of the flowers I have come across, but I also appreciated the layman’s approach to the content in the book. Rather than using scientific terms, the author uses words that the average person can actually understand. There are also great photos of each flower which typically have a close-up of the flower and inset picture of the entire plant.

This is by no means an exhaustive text on wildflowers, but it is perfect for the beginner or person who wants to know a little more about the topic.

AJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AJ - thank you for your review. The nice pictures, the layman's language, and the "beginner" as my intended audience were EXACTLY what I set out to do when I wrote the book. It's nice that you "got it"!...Steve Hegji