Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jane

Jane
By April Lindner
Little, Brown, 2010. 375 pgs. Young Adult

In the modernized retelling of Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester is Nico Rathburn, a rock star trying to make a comeback, with a young daughter he has no idea how to raise. Jane Moore is desperately seeking a job after her parents' death has left her broke and forced her to drop out of college. Hired as a nanny for Maddy, Jane is just trying to save up money for tuition, but soon finds herself attracted to her boss. Although there are times that Jane wonders if Nico could feel something for her, other women and Nico's past are obstacles to any sort of happy ending for them.

I've never been a big fan of Jane Eyre, but I thought this retelling was decent. For those looking for a contemporary rags-to-riches romance, this one will do. Even those who aren't familiar with the story of Jane Eyre can enjoy the book.

AE

1 comment:

BHG said...

I loved this. I thought it was well-written and captivating. I was surprised because I thought this would be loosely based on Jane Eyre, but it followed the book VERY closely, and well-done at that. I enjoyed the steady exploration of Jane's character and the closer look at Mr. Rochester - uh, I mean, Mr. Rathburn's character. I felt in some ways that I understood him better and experienced a little more of his personality than you do in Jane Eyre. I think Lindner did a good job of bringing this into the 21st century and putting the book in a context of class differences and social tensions that we can better understand and identify with in the current day. Well done!