Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Inside Alzheimer's: how to hear and honor connections with a person who has dementia

INSIDE ALZHEIMER'S
By Nancy Pearce
First Forrason Press, 2007. 300 p. Nonfiction

When the time comes in your life to know/care for someone who has dementia/Alzheimer, pick up the book "Inside Alzheimer's" by Nancy Pearce. The subtitle, "How to Hear and Honor Connections with a Person who has Dementia" is exactly what the book is about. While the first 60 pages deal a bit too much about "personal gremlins" for my liking, the premise of the book in its entirety is wonderful. Pearce refers often to her six principles to help you make a connection with an Alzheimer patient: 1) Intend to make a connection 2) Free yourself of judgment (gremlins) 3) Love 4) Be open to being loved 5) Silence 6) Thankfulness

Each chapter is filled with Pearce's personal heart warming and heart wrenching experiences dealing with dementia/Alzheimer's patients. I actually had the opportunity to attempt to use some of her wisdom when I visited my own mother-in-law. I was amazed at the results I got. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone who are friends or family members of a loved one with dementia/Alzheimer's.

mpb

No comments: