Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In Her Shoes

IN HER SHOES
By Jennifer Weiner
Washington Square Press, 2003. 424 p. Fiction

Rose and Maggie are two sisters opposite in everything from physical appearance to accepting responsibility and yet as fate would have it, they are bound together by sisterhood and the same shoe size. Maggie messes things up i.e. her jobs, other peoples lives, her life. Rose bails Maggie out, the result of a promise made to her mother who died 20 years ago. Then one day Maggie's behavior crosses the line that even sisterhood cannot forgive.

Since the day of their mother's funeral the two sisters have had no contact with their maternal grandmother, Ella, in fact they were not sure if she was still alive. Can Ella be the key that brings these sister's back together, re-instilling the importance of family?

I listened to the Recorded Books 15.75 hours version of this novel with a very adept narrator, Barbara McCulloh. The blurbs I'd read made this sound like a fun read so I really wanted to enjoy it, but sorry to say I did not and I would have a difficult time recommending it to anyone. The graphic sex scenes and abundance of hard core language did nothing to enhance the story. I really thought I could ignore all of it and just enjoy, but I was wrong.

mpb

No comments: