Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Chosen One

The Chosen One
By Carol Lynch Williams
St. Martin's Griffin, 2009. 213 pgs. Young Adult.

Kyra has been Chosen. Chosen to marry her much-older uncle; be his seventh wife. Kyra, thirteen years old, believes this is her punishment for breaking rules—for sneaking out and reading forbidden books on the bookmobile and for meeting and kissing a boy late at night. Kyra loves her family, her father, his three wives, and her twenty brothers and sisters and they love her. She thought she loved her way of life, but questions it now that she has been betrothed to this old man. Taught to be submissive and obedient, Kyra must decide now if that is the right path for her.

Chilling and horrific, I couldn’t put this down. I started reading it one evening and stayed up past my bedtime to skim the rest of it; I had to know what happened. Then I went back and read it completely through and was just as horrified the second time. How sad to know this really does happen to young women.

MN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book was one that I had a very hard time putting down. I really felt each of Kyra's emotions. This book has kept me thinking of it for days!