Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chains

CHAINS: Laurie Halse Anderson: Simon and Schuster: Young Adult: 320 pgs.

Set during the American Revolution, this is the story of two sisters that have grown up as slaves on a farm, and treated kindly. On the death of their owner they were supposed to be freed, but the will was hidden and they were sold to a rich couple from New York. The couple are loyalists and have no sympathy or kindness for their slaves and servants. After a devastating incident, the older sister decides to spy for the patriots. This is a wonderful, character driven story. Highly recommended.

DEF

3 comments:

MBC said...

Just read it and loved it! One of Anderson's best.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the recommendations. I had been hit with the "I can't find anything I want to read" blues, and this book totally got me in the mood for reading again.

AE