Saturday, December 6, 2008

Outlander

OUTLANDER: Diana Gabaldon: Delacorte Press: Romance: 627 pgs.

WWII nurse Claire Randall is suddenly hurled back 200 years when she visits an ancient circle of stones in Scotland. Her chief goal is to return to her own time, but she becomes entangled in local distrust between the Scots and the ruling English. The only way for her to escape being arrested and held by the English is for her to claim rights as a Scot – by marrying one. Claire is torn between surviving long enough to make it back to the circle of stones and her husband in 1945, and her growing attraction for the husband of her marriage of convenience in 1743.

Adventure and romance captivate in this series hailed for its outstanding characters and the relationships between them. Be aware that this book contains sexual situations, though you could skip to the next section of the chapter once you see them coming.

BHG

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this novel, but there is a lot of sex and a lot of violence and I felt like the last two hundred pages or so could have been tightened up.

DEF said...

I enjoyed this series, I have now read the sequel to Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber. I agree with previous comments that the first book has an excessive amount of violence and graphic sex. But, with that said I found it a very compelling book and definitely wanted to read on in the series.

Brooke S. said...

I have almost finished this series and it really is a great read...and not a little bit steamy. (A lot steamy if that didn't make sense:))

ACS said...

I really liked the storyline of this novel. It was an interesting idea and I loved seeing how everything played out. The characters were interesting, with fleshed out backgrounds that shaped who they were and how they responded to events. I really loved the setting and how Claire’s knowledge of the future shaped her perception of the past. That being said, I felt like it could have been shortened without any harm coming to the overall story. There were several love scenes between Claire and Jamie that did little to advance the story and could easily be skipped over if desired.