Friday, December 7, 2007

Good Dog. Stay.

GOOD DOG. STAY.: Anna Quindlen: Random House: 2007: Nonfiction: 84 pages

Are you an animal lover or even just an animal liker? In a reflective mood and want to read a book in less then a hour? Then try Pulitzer prize winner Anna Quindlen’s new book “Good Dog. Stay.”. This book is only 84 pages and about half of them are black and white pictures of dogs. A memorial to Quindlen’s beloved dog Beau, she reflects on the influence the dog had both on herself and her growing family. We all learn life lessons but some of us are not lucky enough to be taught them by a patient forgiving dog. Quindlen learned from Beau to “roll with the punches, take things as they come, to measure herself not in terms of the past or the future but of the present, to raise her nose in the air from time to time and, at least metaphorically, holler, “I smell bacon!” Quindlen’s writing style is smooth and easy. Though the book is extremely short, it still made me dab my eyes and smile as I thought back on my pets and lessons they taught me. Purpose of book accomplished. I do have one question about the book however, besides Beau and Bea, who are the dogs in the pictures?

mpb

No comments: